Climate Solutions: Nuclear Lies—Green Truths
Yes, let’s hear that sixties chant one more time, “NO NUKES”. Today however, we have 40+ years of experience with the beasts and several viable alternatives. While Greenpeace US Executive Director Mike Clark, was marching with several thousand demonstrators, on Capital Power Plant in Washington D.C. (to protest a coal generator), I spent the evening with a much smaller crowd, listening to Greenpeace Canada Executive Director Bruce Cox, speak on nuclear-free climate change solutions.
The slides followed a familiar pattern, Conservation First, decentralize production and smarten the grid, heat-electrical co-generation, and add green energy production. Mr. Cox did stress however, the future impact on green energy, that will result if Ontario continues to push ahead with new nuclear power plants. Once these plants come online in 2020, green energy generation will be capped at 8% and the new nukes will provide the vast majority of Ontario’s electrical power for years to come.
We have a couple of questions however….
1) what have we done with all the waste uranium over the past 40 years?
2) what will the TRUE cost be, to build new 3rd generation nuclear plants?
3) why don’t we spend all those billions of $$$$$ on biomass, hydro, wind, solar, geothermal
Mr. Cox did suggest “next steps” for those attending (and reading this article?)…
Contact George Smitherman:
Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure
Hearst Block, 4 th Floor, 900 Bay Street
Toronto, ON M7A 2E1
And let him know your don’t want any new nukes!
- Greening the Grid – No Nukes
- Renewable Energy Cheaper in the Long Run
- Greening the Electrical Grid – part 1
Filed under: Climate Change